RELAX | RETREAT | RE-ENERGISE
The Buddha Bungalow is a separate self-contained accommodation unit on the property. Nestled in the bush by the stream, this finished rustic dwelling with stunning views is the perfect place to retreat from the busyness of urban life. Here you will be immersed in nature, surrounded by birdcalls, and begin to re-connect to the earth and beauty that is all around us.It’s perfect for a solo retreat or a couple’s quiet getaway. (Spiritual or artistic retreatants should enquire for special pricing)
- Double bed; ensuite with shower
- Step outside into the three-sided covered kitchenette area which contains small fridge, kettle, microwave, and stove
- Private deck with awesome views of the Akaroa harbour and mountains
- Private seating area by the stream
- No TV: read a book, listen to music, sit quietly in reflection or meditation, take a nap, smell the flowers, hike into the hills
- No Wi-Fi: There is no internet available in the unit unless you hotspot off your own device. However, if you absolutely need to be connected to the greater world, we can arrange a time for you to use the internet in the main house.
- Limited mobile reception: Vodafone works well; Spark sporadically; 2Degrees not at all.
- Wainui beach and tennis courts are 2 km down the hill
- Akaroa is a half-hour’s drive; Duvuachelle which contains a small grocery and café and Barrys Bay Cheese Shop are a fifteen minute drive and are the nearest commercial establishments.
This is a quintessential Kiwi bach (cottage) experience. You are in the bush and with that comes all things nature – trees and flowers and possums, bugs, and other creatures with which you will be sharing space.
- $88/night plus $22 cleaning fee; two night minimum. Maximum 2 persons. (You can book direct with us or through AirBnb)
- $20/pp we can provide a self-catered continental-styled breakfast (options include: Bruce’s homemade wholewheat & rye nutrient-dense bread with selection of homemade jams & spreads; juice, coffee, herbal & regular teas, cereal/muesli and fruit)
- $30/pp we can provide a homemade organic wholesome lunch (options include: water or milk-kefir based smoothies, amazing salads, hummus/tapenade spreads, boiled eggs, and a sweet desert)
Check-in 3 pm; Check-out: 11 am.
"My partner and I spent a week at Birdsong and we simply adored the little cottage and its surroundings! It truly lives up to its name as the birdlife there is incredible, and we spent a lot of time sitting outside just simply listening to and watching the birds. So peaceful. The bungalow was very comfortable and we loved the outdoor kitchen space, as it makes such a nice change to be so connected to nature. The place feels entirely private and like we could’ve been absolutely anywhere, tucked away at the end of the road, surrounded by huge trees and a stunning harbour view, and our own private stream in the bush. What more could we have asked for?" - Kat, Takaka, New Zealand
“I had decided to take a break from the city and found this wee gem! The hosts were very quick to reply making it very easy to plan the trip! Once we arrived it was very easy to find everything and it had a very comfy bed. The location is perfect as it is very private and you are surrounded by nature but also close enough to drive around to Akaroa which is just what I wanted. The bungalow was very neat and tidy and had lovely seating to choose from. Overall I am very happy with my stay and would highly recommend it if you are looking for a relaxing getaway with amazing views - I hope to be back soon for another stay.” - Frankie, Christchurch, New Zealand
“For a taste of what is truly magical about the Banks Peninsula, look no further than here. You will be delighted by the setting of this cute cabin.” - Tim, Christchurch, New Zealand
"We travelled the South Island in a van for 2.5 weeks and were looking for a place to spend our two final nights and to celebrate Christmas. Kathy and Bruce's bungalow turned out to be the ideal place for us. They were very communicative and helpful prior to our stay and welcomed us very warmly. As already mentioned in the description, the bach is quintessential and it had everything we needed - even an oven to prepare our Christmas dinner! The views from the bedroom and the little deck were stunning and absolutely worth the drive up the gravel road. We did really enjoy our two nights in the Buddha Bungalow and would highly recommend it to everyone who is looking for a lovely, easy, remote getaway. " - Vera, Germany
We just wanted to pass on how excellent our stay was, and how lovely the building was - the view over the bay at breakfast was just bliss. The surroundings and trees were fantastic, the open sided kitchen unique. Kathy was very friendly and welcoming, as was your dog! (or 'dog-dog' as we christened her). We shall definitely be back! – Keith & Charlotte